Finally summer came along at the end of June through early August. I ended up purchasing a tiger inflatable pool and visiting the city park with friends. Mostly we hung out inside with our window air conditioning units as it was really hot. I think Mathew enjoyed visiting the city park beach but was overwhelmed by Michigan lake waters. They are cold if you ask me! He went in all excited and came out shivering! Silly little guy...
Steph's Wedding:
We made a crazy trip to Illinois to go to my grad school friend's wedding. Steph was getting married on a Saturday, so we left Friday - drove the whole way and into the night, just made it to the wedding and reception, left early from reception and drove the whole way back, making a quick stop in Holland to take pictures of the windmills (and a quick walk) and back to Cheboygan by late Sunday evening. I remember it being so hot... but fun all the same! What adventures we have! Mathew did great in the car eating and a few naps. We did our best to keep him up during the driving hours, but there is something about the car seat that makes babies sleep. It was fun though.
Diana's visit to Mackinaw Island:
My best friend came to visit her family in Michigan and decided to make a trip to Mackinac island. I love visiting the island and ended up meeting them to take the ferry across. Mathew had another eventful day but I think he enjoyed it too. He loves the butterfly gardens and of course, Diana had to go there.
It really was great to visit with her.
Coast Guard week:
Mathew and I made the 5hr trip to Grand Haven, MI for Coast Guard week! We ended up staying with the nicest family the Rolls. A lady from our Branch set us up, but I knew their daughter-in-law at CMU. It was fun to reconnect with old friends. The boat was on display there so John was pretty busy. We only got one full day to be with him the whole week. It was the day of the parade and fireworks so everything turned out fine. The Rolls were so nice and fed us too! Such a fun trip!
Boat in and out:
All summer the boat was in and out - missions, buoys, and maintenance. One afternoon Mathew and I went to see the boat pull in. He was excited as he had started to recognize Daddy's boat and understanding more where Daddy works.
First hair cut:
Shortly after this picture was taken, Mathew got his first hair cut. No more curly locks, but a clean cut little man!
Garden:
Garden:
Summer was also the start of our community garden in housing. It was a bit nuts getting people to participate and actually doing the work. The weeds overran a lot of the stuff planted but we got a good turn out in the end with lettuce, potatoes, corn, and tomatoes. We did have a line of pumpkins but bugs got to them toward the fall. Mathew would run around in the dirt while I was watering. We would come back wet and really muddy, but it was good fun to be out there. We also moved our strawberries and raspberries over there as crews came to re-grass our backyard and lay a cement patio. It was so last minute so it bugged me to do it all at once while they were waiting to pour concrete. Thanks for letting me know!
Work:
Early July I was contacted by an ENT in Petoskey looking to start Audiology services in his private practice. He got my number through my quick visit to Audicare in Cheboygan when we first moved here. It was nice to be sought out but I totally understand the lack of good professionals in this area in my field. John and I had dinner with them and felt good about handing in a resume and visiting their office. It was exciting for me to start something brand new and how I wanted it. I negotiated payment with them and found a fellow Coastie wife to care for Mathew at home. It was very part-time and worked out well with his and my schedule. Mathew ended up really enjoying the sitter too.




No comments:
Post a Comment