Welcome to My Blogg:

covering school, marriage, and the rest of my life!

Thursday, April 25, 2013

my beloved Boston

This last week in Boston have been intense... On Patriots' Day I was frantically searching the TV to watch the marathon. I couldn't find anything but vowed to find it later. I love that day in Boston. It is a reminder of the founding Patriots of America... the first battle of the Revolution and the Boston Marathon! I was able to visit the battle re-enactment in Lexington last year but never make it down to the marathon as I was hugely prego by that time and tired. It was also really hot that day! This year would have been perfect!
But, tragedy struck and there were two bombs that went off at the finish line as runners were going through. Since then there has been a shoot out, a lock-down of the city, and a man-hunt where heavily armed men searched people's homes. The whole metro suburb of Watertown was in terror as they looked for a second suspect. Now he was dangerous and there was a public safety issue according to the news, but man, the amount of officers and officials and military personal involved was overwhelming! I would have been scared just because of that! I can only imagine how the people around may have felt.
I think of this incident and all the news that is coming from it (true or not) - the multiple arrests, the suspicion of more people involved, the withdrawal of Miranda rights, the anger, the people dead - it amazes me what is happening around this nation. How many people's rights were neglected or ignored when they had nothing to do with it? Or how many people wished they had their own gun to protect themselves?
Or how many people forgot you can tell officers no when they came to search their house? Or how much is big government taking control? Or how many people already condemned this man without evidence or due process (or due to news media which may just be fluffing the story) just because the police were after him? Or what happened to the first suspect? It amazes me how craziness like this can happen and we let it! Where did citizens' right go? We let government take away our rights little at a time... Did we forget what Patroits' day was all about?? Why are we slipping? And where did human decency go?
I understand how there are horrible people in this world and we need to stop them - but most of what happened was a bit much!

No comments: